August 30, 2011, Self Reliant Community News.
My computer apologizes if you didn’t receive email notice of the August meeting and missed learning from Beth Rossow about the wealth of living independently close to nature. Thank you, Holly, for the timely notice on your SRC website.
Holly adds: Sorry Wayne, I also sent an email out to everyone I have on my mailing list. However, it isn’t updated with the newest members. Remember, to receive these message updates in your email box from our SRC website you have to sign up on our site for them. Please pass this information on to people who don’t get these notices. Tell them to go to https://selfreliantcommunity.wordpress.com/ if they would like this option. There are many who haven’t signed up yet. Maybe you can copy this entry and paste it in a new email and send it on.
The September 7th meeting will be, again, at the 70th Ave. Fire Station at 6:30 pm. You can bring something to RAFFLE, really this time! KELDA MILLER will teach us what PERMACULTURE really means and how you can use the basic ideas in your own food-growing, as Anuttama (www.BillyandAnuttama.wordpress.com) already has.
- ELECTRONIC CHANGE IS COMING to SRC. My troubled
distribution list is telling me that it is time for someone else with a better computer to take over the job of SRC communication. It seems to me reasonable to combine Holly’s wonderful web-work with the communication I’ve been doing. SO, can we find someone, perhaps not even in our group, perhaps retired, that could find fun and enjoyment in the communication of all the interesting things that happen in the Self Reliant Community?
Holly has already asked for someone to take over the website and offered to teach them.
- CHANGE IS COMING to SRC. My wife, Barb, has cancer, metastasized, and while she feels well now, the chemotherapy
regimen begins Sept. 15th, and the next months will require my first attention to Barb.
Therefore, both my age and Barb’s illness opens an opportunity for all of you
to begin planning to expand the “sharing skills, knowledge, and encouragement” of local self reliance skills for basic needs, in the
community and especially in your own neighborhoods. I feel certain that (rather than “rebounding”) the economy will continue downward, challenging all of us. But a world of opportunities for teaching others, strengthening neighbor bonds, expanding local food growing where possible, “putting by” some food, using greenhouse or row covers, keeping a back-up bicycle, using a rain barrel, and preparing for cold without power, will emerge as more people realize that the economy just won’t take care of them. I invite all who can to meet at the 70th Ave. Fire Station again at 6:30pm on the second Wednesday, Sept. 14th to plan a reorganization of Self Reliant Community without
Wayne. Someone from this meeting will need to email Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve the room for an October meeting.
- CHANGE for Barb and I will be in the future. I’d love to think I can handle all the tasks around our acre, but difficulties since my 80th birthday suggest otherwise. Barb and I haven’t seriously
talked about it, but change will come, obviously. (Assessment was downgraded to under $100,000, though we owe $130,000, so we are “underwater”).
- Volunteers are needed for SRC booth at Bethel’s ABC Days at GK High School on October 15th, Saturday, (9 – 12 or 12– 3). Maybe Jay can bring his electric racing car.
- I have a few windows left, also a small, old, drop-leaf desk. Any takers?
- Please let me know via “reply” if you wish to meet with Bethel’s Jay Brower regarding the formation of aFarmer’s Market at the new Learning Center.